Trademarks: Certainty vs. Commitment
In this video, we're gonna dive deep into the entrepreneurs' mind. We're gonna talk about certainty and commitment when it comes to branding, when it comes to trademarking , and in general.
If you found this video useful, subscribe to our YouTube channel. We post new content all the time!
If you have a brand you want to protect, let's get on a quick call to discuss your trademarking strategy.
How many times has somebody given you a perfectly logical explanation why you needed to do something for your business? You agreed it made perfect sense. You said it yourself, “Yes, this is something I should do, and it's something I will do at some point. I'm just not gonna do it right now, but I know I should do this at some point.” It happens a lot, to a lot of business owners.
Interestingly, the reasons we come up with why we don't do the things we should do are usually reasons why we should do those things in the first place. But this boils down to two things. This boils down to commitment and certainty.
The problem is, a lot of business owners, they're waiting for that sign from above. That they've accomplished a certain milestone. They've reached a certain level of revenue, a certain number of clients, a certain number of likes on Facebook. And they're like, “You know what, when I hit that milestone, that's when I'm gonna take care of this, this, or this, or this”—because they KNOW they have to take care of this, this, this, and this.
But they're waiting for something external to happen, and what they're really waiting for is certainty.
They're waiting for absolute certainty that whatever they're doing is the right decision. That whatever investment they're about to make in their business is the right investment. That whatever they're planning to do they're gonna do it the exact right time, the exact right space, with the exact right people, for the exact right amount of money.
And the interesting thing about certainty is that those business owners believe that once they have certainty that's when they're going to be able to make a full commitment to their business.
But guess what, commitment never comes as a result of certainty.
It's the other way around.
First, you make a decision. First, you make a commitment. Then, certainty comes.
Think about any decision you made in your life. Any significant decision. There was no certainty. No. That's why it's called a hard decision. But once you've made that decision, once you've committed to it, guess what happens, you became more and more certain that the decision was right. And more often than not, it was right. It was the right decision.
And when you started your business, when you came up with this idea, “you know what I'm gonna do this thing”, are you absolutely certain? No. No. But you made that decision and you started moving in that direction.
Your role as a leader, as a business owner, as an entrepreneur, is to make a series of decisions. A series of commitments to take your business from an idea that you came up with towards the dream, towards the vision that you see for your business. And if you're gonna let those decisions, those commitments, become hostage to this idea that at some point you're gonna have absolute certainty, let me tell you, you're never gonna get your dream. You're never gonna get that vision, because you're never gonna get that certainty.
Think about this, all the milestones that we have for ourselves are made up. If you say to yourself, “Well, if I hit a million dollars in revenue, that's when I'll know that this is a real business”. Let me ask you, if your business makes nine hundred thousand that year, is that not a real business? What if it makes 850? See what I mean? And it doesn't matter what the numbers are. What matters is that we make all this stuff up. And the reason we make this stuff up is to give ourselves an excuse to not commit fully to our vision, to not commit fully to what we see for this business, and to give ourselves a way out if we don't hit those goals.
Look at the most successful companies in the world, the multi-billion dollar companies. Do you think they have absolute certainty about their every decision? No. they're facing huge decisions, hard decisions and they're not certain. But what happens with the multi-billion dollar companies is the same thing that happens in the mind of business owners who are trying to get to their first five figures.
Commitment always comes first. Clarity and certainty come as a result of that commitment.
So with respect to branding, with respect to trademarking, again I can give you perfectly logical reasons why you should trademark your brand earlier rather than later. And I know that logically and intellectually you understand this. And I understand that you probably want to do this.
But until you give yourself the permission to build a business that actually matters, until you commit to your business, until you commit to the goal, until you commit to the dream that you had for your business, it's just going to be one of those “yeah I should do it at some point” kind of things.
My mentor Dan Lok teaches this concept of ‘someday’. All of us have, or at least used to have, the list of things that we would say “I'm gonna do that someday; I'm gonna take my kids to Disneyland someday; I'm gonna fly first class someday; I'm gonna stay in fancy hotels someday; I'm gonna buy business insurance someday; I'm gonna hire the best people for my business someday; I'm gonna file my trademarks someday; I'm gonna do this someday; I'm gonna do that someday”.
Look here's the problem with all this. If you look at the calendar for this year or the next year, you won't find a day that says Someday. You just won't find it. And the reason we say “Someday, I'm gonna do that” is because it makes us feel better. It makes us feel better to know that we kind of logically understand the importance of those things. But we put them away, for someday. And someday never comes, that's the problem with this.
So, if you know you got to do those things, you got to do those things.
And don't wait for commitment to come as a result of certainty. That will never happen.
Certainty will come as a result of your commitment. Not the other way around.
So with trademarks, ask yourself a question, is your brand important? Would it be a problem if you lost your brand, if you were forced into rebranding? Would it be a problem if somebody sued you for you using that brand? And if your answer is yes, it is important, then don't wait until someday to do what you know you need to do. Don't wait until someday to protect it. Because someday never comes. And by the time you decide, someday has come, it may be too late.
And be honest, because your answer may be no, it's not important. And it's perfectly okay as long as you're honest. But if your answer is no, this brand is not important, then what you need to do is come up with a different brand. A brand that's actually gonna mean something to you. A brand that's gonna help you commit to give yourself the permission to make this business into something that actually matters.
And that's when certainty comes.
Disclaimer: Please note that this post and this video are not and are not intended as legal advice. Your situation may be different from the facts assumed in this post or video. Your reading this post or watching this video does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Trademark Factory International Inc., and you should not rely on this post or this video as the only source of information to make important decisions about your intellectual property.
See our answers to other frequently asked questions about trademarks or leave your comments below!
comments powered by Disqus
- Does My Trademark Need to Match My Company Name? (02:27)
- What Is a Trademark? (02:50)
- Can I Add More Products and Services to My Trademark Application After It Has Been Filed? (01:58)
- Where Should I Register My Trademarks? (Deciding on Jurisdictions in Which to File Trademarks) (03:14)
- What Is Conventional Priority? (04:41)
- Can I Change the Trademark Itself After My Trademark Application has been Filed? (01:48)
- How Long Does It Take to Register a Trademark? (01:47)
- Can I Trademark Dictionary Words? (02:30)
- Can I Trademark the Same Brand for Different Products or Services? (02:30)
- Do All Countries Protect Unregistered Trademarks? (Common-Law Trademarks) (02:30)
- Can I Trademark a Brand Before It Is Launched? (Intent-to-Use Trademarks) (02:59)
- Is My Trademark Available? (03:07)
- Should I Trademark My Startup's Brand? (04:10)
- In Whose Name Should I Apply For My Trademark? (04:04)
- Will the Trademarks Office Help Me Enforce My Trademarks? (01:52)
- Should I Trademark a Logo Done On Fiverr? (03:44)
- How Much Does It Cost to Register a Trademark? (04:06)
- Should I Trademark My #Hashtags? (03:02)
- Are There Annual Trademark Maintenance Fees? (02:20)
- If I Register My Trademark, Does It Mean No One Can Use It? (05:03)
- Four Things Most Commonly Trademarked (The Trademark Dance) (02:49)
- How Does Trademark Factory's Guarantee Work? (05:45)
- What Are Nice Classes of Goods and Services (02:29)
- Do I Have to Be an American Resident to File in the U.S.? (01:44)
- How Are Service Marks Different From Trademarks? (01:59)
- What Are Oppositions? (04:53)
- 3 Most Important Benefits of Registering Trademarks (03:56)
- Why Register a Trademark in Canada to Get a .CA Domain Name? (02:33)
- What is Post-Allowance Statement / Declaration of Use? (04:01)
- Am I Protected Between the Filing and the Registration of My Trademark? (02:34)
- What Is Post-Registration Statement of Use? (03:12)
- How to Use Trademarks to Create a Sense of Uniqueness for Your Business? (05:08)
- What Goes Into a Trademark Application? (03:09)
- What Happens If You Don't Respond to Correspondence from Trademarks Office in Time? (02:37)
- What Makes a Brand Valuable? (02:29)
- Is Registering a .COM Domain Name Enough to Secure Trademark Rights? (02:34)
- Why Is It Important to Preserve Evidence of Use of My Trademarks? (02:45)
- Do I Need an Agreement with My Logo Designer? (04:36)
- Andrei Mincov's story (20:52)
- What is Madrid Protocol? (04:32)
- Trademark Factory Ultimate package (07:27)
- What Are Official Marks in Canada? (04:15)
- Trademark Factory I Feel Lucky package (04:22)
- How Will a Trademark Examiner Examine My Trademark Application? (09:20)
- Can You Trademark Book Titles? (01:39)
- Trademark Factory All-Inclusive package (04:25)
- Trademarks vs. Trade Names (04:10)
- Look-Alike and Sound-Alike Trademarks (03:58)
- Will the Trademark Examiner Check Other Applied For Trademarks? (03:13)
- Trademarking Words in a Fancy Font? (04:07)
- Will the Trademark Examiner Check Unregistered Trademarks? (03:23)
- You Received an Office Action. Now What? (05:32)
- How Long Is a Trademark Registration Good For? (02:06)
- When Should I Trademark My Brand? (02:50)
- Why is Google the Textbook Example of What Not to Do with Your Trademark? (04:53)
- Should I Claim Color as a Feature of My Trademark ? (04:23)
- What Is the Difference Between Trademarks and Patents? (05:10)
- How Should I List Products and Services in My Trademark Application? (08:53)
- What Is the Difference Between Trademarks and Copyright? (05:33)
- When Should I Trademark My Logo? (05:43)
- What Are the Two Main Reasons My Trademark Application Can Be Rejected? (07:21)
- What Is the Trademarking Process? (10:12)
- Can I Mention Someone Else's Trademark on My Website? (04:20)
- What Is An Acceptable Specimen of Use? (06:27)
- What Are Generic, Descriptive, Suggestive, Arbitrary, and Fanciful Trademarks? (09:26)
- What Is UDRP Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy? (10:39)
- How Do I Trademark Product Names? (03:31)
- When Am I Allowed to Put TM Next To My Brand? (03:04)
- How Do I Trademark Service Names? (03:46)
- What Are Word Marks, Design Marks, and Combined Marks? (04:42)
- What Should I Know About Trademarking Slogans and Taglines? (03:16)
- Should I Trademark My Name Or My Logo (04:42)
- Adding Elements to My Trademark to Overcome Confusion or Descriptiveness (04:39)
- Are Famous Trademarks Treated Differently From Regular Trademarks (05:46)
- Received an Invoice For International Publication of Trademark (06:58)
- What Should I Do If Somebody Infringes on My Trademark (04:31)
- Do Trademarks Protect Their Foreign Equivalents (03:59)
- What Should I Do If Somebody Accuses Me of Infringing Their Trademark? (04:44)
- Asian Domain Name Scam (02:42)
- What Are Two Biggest Branding Mistakes? (06:27)
- Are Dead Trademarks a Problem? (03:02)
- What Is The Difference Between a TM and an R in a Circle Symbols (02:31)
- What Does Using a Trademark Mean? (05:16)
- How Do I Choose a Great Brand for my Business, Product, or Service ? (05:51)
- What Is Weekly Confusion Watch Service? (05:47)
- Supplemental Register (08:20)
- What Are Ornamental Trademarks? (03:55)
- What Happens If I Don't Renew My Trademark In Time? (05:34)
- What Does Confusingly Similar Mean? (04:57)
- What Is a Trademark Assignment Agreement? (05:05)
- What Does Date of First Use Mean? (04:25)
- What Is a License Agreement? (08:03)
- Why Is Search So Important? (04:25)
- What Are Incontestable Trademarks? (04:59)
- How Do I Check the Current Status of my Trademark Application? (01:53)
- Important Amendments to Canada's Trademark Law (18:41)
- How To Trademark a Name and Logo (10:32)
- Trademarking Strategies For Life And Business Coaches (09:09)
- How Do I Cancel Someone Else's Trademarks? (09:57)
- Why Do Celebrities Trademark Their Catchphrases? (03:59)
- How George Clooney Made $1 Billion Using Trademarks? (04:32)
- Misspellings and Other Changes to Get Around Someone Else's Trademark (07:05)
- How To Protect Your Brand On Amazon? (07:26)
- Dividing a USPTO Trademark Application (05:29)
- 5 Movies with Unbelievable Scenes about Trademarks and Intellectual Property (16:55)
- Trademark Factory's New & Improved I Feel Lucky Package (03:22)
- The Dumbest Advice About Trademarks You Could Ever Give (04:08)
- 5 Things You Should Never Say About Your Brand (07:14)
- Trademarks vs Domain Names (03:26)
- What's Your Brand Worth? (02:10)
- 3 Y's Of Protecting Your Brand (08:08)
- Matrix of Success 2 Things a Business Needs for Success (06:08)
- How Coca Cola Trademarked Their Brand (06:38)
- Trademarking Process In a Nutshell - TMs Into Rs Brand Protection Formula (06:37)
- Can I Trademark An App (02:19)
- 3 Types Of Businesses And What This Has To Do With Trademarks (06:08)
- Incorporation vs Trademarking (08:02)
- 3 Nasty Trademark Rip Offs And How To Avoid Them (12:07)
- Do I Need To Have A Logo To Get A Trademark (04:12)
- The Real Price You Pay For Trademarking (08:47)
- Copyright, Trademarks and Patents: What's the Difference? (32:06)
- How To Create A Killer Tagline For Your Business (12:33)
- The Madrid Protocol and International Trademarking - Updated for 2019 (20:00)
- Difference Between TM and R in a Circle When to Use Which (07:16)
- USPTO Trademark Fees Are About To Skyrocket (10:13)
- How To Trademark A Name And Logo For Free (16:41)
- Trademark Classes Explained | Nice Classification (24:09)
- Trademark Class 35 of Nice Classification (17:31)
- How To Trademark A Name And Logo For My Music Band (21:09)
- Trademark Classes Explained For Mobile Apps (06:31)
- Trademark Registration Step By Step (20:33)
- How To Create A Great Brand Name (J.U.M.P Brands) (11:46)
- How to Trademark a Name and Logo in Canada 2020 (10:01)
- Trademark Classes For Clothing Everything You Need To Know (05:47)
- How To Trademark A Name And Logo For Your Small Business (07:48)
- Trademark Class 41 Explained (15:16)
- How To Type and Insert Trademark TM, Registered (R) and Copyright (C) Symbols On Android (02:15)
- How To Type and Insert Trademark TM, Registered (R) and Copyright (C) Symbols For All Platforms (09:08)
- How To Type and Insert Trademark TM, Registered (R) and Copyright (C) Symbols on iPhone / iPad IOS (03:18)
- How To Type and Insert Trademark TM, Registered (R) and Copyright (C) Symbols on Mac OS (02:29)
- How To Type Trademark TM, Registered (R) and Copyright (C) Symbols on Windows Keyboard with Numpad (02:25)
- How To Type and Insert Trademark TM, Registered (R) and Copyright (C) Symbols Without a Numeric Pad (03:30)
- 5 Tips to Start Your Trademark Registration Process (10:26)
- Will EU Trademark Law apply in the UK after Brexit? (09:55)