7 Benefits of Registering Trademarks
In this video, you will learn why protecting your brand through trademark registration is a good idea.
If you found this video useful, subscribe to our YouTube channel. We post new content all the time!
If you have a brand you want to protect, let's get on a quick call to discuss your trademarking strategy.
NARRATOR: Dennis runs a plumbing company, E Zee Plunger.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Welcome to the Trademark Factory!
DENNIS: So what are the benefits of registering my trademarks?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: First of all, registration protects your brand all across Canada! People may only know about you in Vancouver but the registration will protect you in Toronto, Calgary and everywhere else in Canada!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Your registered trademark is a valuable asset. Itâ€™s easier to sell, franchise or license out your brand if itâ€™s registered as a trademark.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: If your brand is not registered and there is a dispute around it, you will have to prove that it is a trademark and that you own it.
JUDGE: Dennis failed to prove that he owns the trademark, so Dennis loses
TRADEMARK FACTORY: If it IS registered as a trademark, it would be up to the other side to prove that your brand is NOT a trademark or that you DONâ€™T own it.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: This is why it is much cheaper and easier to win a trademark dispute if you have a registered trademark.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Thereâ€™s more! Nobody can get away with infringing on your trademark by saying that they did not know you owned it.
ANOTHER PLUNGER: I didn't know it's his trademark!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Your registration certificate is enough proof that everyone knows your trademark.
JUDGE: The other side failed to prove that Dennis does not own the trademark, so Dennis wins.
DENNIS: Cheaper and easier â€“ I like that!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: One of the other benefits usually overlooked is that registration provides free and automatic protection against others registering identical or similar trademarks.
DENNIS: What do you mean, free?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: The Trademarks Office will not register any trademarks that are confusingly similar to the mark that you applied for or registered. That means that simply by applying to register your mark you can prevent a competitor from registering a trademark similar to yours.
DENNIS: I like it when the government is working for me!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Also, donâ€™t forget that your registered trademark will appear in the Trademarks Register, which others will usually search when choosing their own brand.
YET A DIFFERENT PLUMBER [WITH ITALIAN ACCENT]: No, lets look for a different name! These guys are serious
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Maybe itâ€™s not relevant to you, but did you know that foreign companies canâ€™t own dot CA domain names, unless they have a registered trademark in Canada?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: Also, your Canadian trademark registration will make it much easier for you to register your trademark in the U.S. and other countries
DENNIS: Yeah, world domination!
TRADEMARK FACTORY: And yes, we can file U.S. trademarks for Canadian businesses. Trademark Factory is authorized to represent Canadians before USPTO.
DENNIS: Thatâ€™s a lot of benefits! What do I do now?
TRADEMARK FACTORY: First of all, go to our website at trade mark factory dot c a and fill out the form telling us about your brand.
TRADEMARK FACTORY: We will conduct a search, analyze the results and provide you with our opinion, ABSOLUTELY FREE. If it CAN be done, we will be happy to help you register it!
Disclaimer: Please note that this cartoon is not and is not intended as legal advice. Your situation may be different from the facts assumed in this cartoon. Your watching this cartoon does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Trademark Factory International Inc., and you should not rely on this cartoon as the only source of information to make important decisions about your intellectual property.
Watch our other cartoons or leave your comments below!
comments powered by Disqus
Watch our other cartoons:
- 7 Benefits of Registering Trademarks ()
- ™ vs. ® - Unregistered And Registered Trademarks ()
- Trademarks vs. Trade Names ()
- Should I Register My Trademarks? ()
- Why Use a Trademark Professional to Register Trademarks ()
- Why Use Trademark FactoryÂ® to Register Trademarks ()
- Trademark Registration Process in Canada ()
- Trademark FactoryÂ® Money-Back Guarantee ()
- Asian Domain Name Scam ()
- Unofficial Trademark Catalog Scam ()
- 4 Important Elements of a Trademark Application ()
- Will My Canadian Trademark Protect Me in the U.S. ()
- Will My U.S. Trademark Protect Me in Canada ()
- How to Select a Great Trademark? ()
- How Can Canadian Businesses Protect their Brands Internationally ()
- How Long is a Trademark Registration Valid For? When to Renew a Trademark Registration ()
- What is a Trademark? ()
- What Does "Using a Trademark" Mean? ()
- Combined Trademarks - File Separately or Together? ()
- Claiming Color as a Feature of a Trademark ()
- Trademark Examination Stage ()
- "Clearly Descriptive" Trademarks ()
- Confusing Marks ()
- What Are Prohibited Marks? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Patents? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Copyright? ()
- How Are Trademarks Different from Industrial Designs (a.k.a. Design Patents)? ()
- Trademarking Personal Names ()
- How Not To Invalidate Your Trademark. Proper Use Of Trademarks. ()
- USPTO Supplemental Register ()
- Conducting an Initial Trademark Search - Why Is It More Difficult than It Seems? ()
- Cancelling Somebody Elseâ€™s Trademarks ()