Received an Invoice For International Publication of Trademark
What should you do if you get an invoice to publish your trademark in an international catalog of trademarks?
You will find the answer at 4:15 of the video below.
If you found this video useful, subscribe to our YouTube channel. We post new content all the time!
If you have a brand you want to protect, let's get on a quick call to discuss your trademarking strategy.
Today I’m going to talk about the scam that a lot of trademark owners go through.
Because trademark applications are all public record, the names of the companies, the addresses of the companies are all public information. So as soon as you file your trademark application, that information goes online and anybody can see that. And a lot of companies— somehow, most of them are in Eastern Europe—take advantage of that and send fraudulent invoices making you think that you are getting a letter from the Trademarks Office that you’re required to pay something.
So I get these letters all the time because we file a lot of our own trademarks. And a lot of our clients get these letters as well. So we warn them all the time, don’t look at this, you know, just ignore that, but a lot of them still wonder what it is.
Interestingly, I just recently got another one of those, so in all honestly, I have no idea for what trademark it is, so we’re gonna do the unboxing of a scam letter. So I have this thing here and let’s see what’s out there.
So first of all, this is how it looks like. Patents-Trademark Service. WPAT whatever… So it goes to me, to Trademark Factory. It came from Budapest, Hungary. Interesting… Let’s see what that is.
So that’s a wonderful letter for one of our newer trademarks. IF IT’S WORTH PROMOTING, ITS WORTH PROTECTING®. So what they want from me is for me to send them 735 USD and they are mentioning my U.S. trademark application and hear what they say.
The trademark publication provides the name of trademark owners and product names on the Internet. It contains only paid, registered tradenames and designs with their USPTO registration numbers and classes. Your data will be published for a term of one year upon receipt of payment. You will be notified in sufficient time to extend your registration. Publication on the Trademark Database Register ensures the registered party a worldwide publication on the Internet. The publication is an elective service which neither substitutes the registration nor prolongs the validity of the trademarks with USPTO. The corporation doesn’t assume any liability either for the accuracy or completeness of the registered information or for trademark protection. Changes will be made free of charge upon receipt of a written request. If the trademark is partially or entirely assigned to another owner, the corporation must be informed in writing. Premature cancellation of publishing must be requested in writing.
So, what they are saying essentially is that for 735 USD they will put information about my trademark on a website. Does nothing for my trademark This is not about trademarks. But here it says, “Registration of International Trademarks.” So, what this is is basically a misleading piece of garbage that you should ignore. But before you ignore it, carefully crumple it and toss it into the bin.
So really, the value of these letters is nothing. It’s a scam, but it’s a pretty sophisticated scam in that they’re not lying to you in the sense that they’re telling you that they’re going to register your trademark. They are telling you exactly what you are going to get. What they expect is that nobody is going to read that nonsense and somebody is going to pay.
So, don’t fall for this. That’s the money you’d much better spend doing something useful for your brand, such as trademarking it, maybe, in other jurisdictions, maybe you want to look at some other sides of your brand that you haven’t trademarked, such as the logo, the tagline, the name.
But this—stay away from it and make sure that you never send anybody any money.
And interestingly, because we have an all-inclusive flat fee and All-Inclusive package, often we hear from our clients, “We thought it was an all-inclusive flat fee, why you are sending us more invoices?” We are not sending you more invoices. All-inclusive means all-inclusive. Whatever you are getting from those 3rd parties, we have nothing to do with it, it is public information.
By the way, we made a cartoon… I typically don’t refer to our cartoons in this FAQ series, but that one I really like, it’s really funny, so you may want the watch that, it’s called “Unofficial Trademark Catalogue Scam.”
Hope you will like it.
Disclaimer: Please note that this post and this video are not and are not intended as legal advice. Your situation may be different from the facts assumed in this post or video. Your reading this post or watching this video does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Trademark Factory International Inc., and you should not rely on this post or this video as the only source of information to make important decisions about your intellectual property.
See our answers to other frequently asked questions about trademarks or leave your comments below!
comments powered by Disqus
- Does My Trademark Need to Match My Company Name? ()
- What Is a Trademark? ()
- Can I Add More Products and Services to My Trademark Application After It Has Been Filed? ()
- Where Should I Register My Trademarks? (Deciding on Jurisdictions in Which to File Trademarks) ()
- What Is Conventional Priority? ()
- Can I Change the Trademark Itself After My Trademark Application has been Filed? ()
- How Long Does It Take to Register a Trademark? ()
- Can I Trademark Dictionary Words? ()
- Can I Trademark the Same Brand for Different Products or Services? ()
- Do All Countries Protect Unregistered Trademarks? (Common-Law Trademarks) ()
- Can I Trademark a Brand Before It Is Launched? (Intent-to-Use Trademarks) ()
- Is My Trademark Available? ()
- Should I Trademark My Startup's Brand? ()
- In Whose Name Should I Apply For My Trademark? ()
- Will the Trademarks Office Help Me Enforce My Trademarks? ()
- Should I Trademark a Logo Done On Fiverr? ()
- How Much Does It Cost to Register a Trademark? ()
- Should I Trademark My #Hashtags? ()
- Are There Annual Trademark Maintenance Fees? ()
- If I Register My Trademark, Does It Mean No One Can Use It? ()
- Four Things Most Commonly Trademarked (The Trademark Dance) ()
- How Does Trademark Factory's Guarantee Work? ()
- What Are Nice Classes of Goods and Services ()
- Do I Have to Be an American Resident to File in the U.S.? ()
- How Are Service Marks Different From Trademarks? ()
- What Are Oppositions? ()
- 3 Most Important Benefits of Registering Trademarks ()
- Why Register a Trademark in Canada to Get a .CA Domain Name? ()
- What is Post-Allowance Statement / Declaration of Use? ()
- Am I Protected Between the Filing and the Registration of My Trademark? ()
- What Is Post-Registration Statement of Use? ()
- How to Use Trademarks to Create a Sense of Uniqueness for Your Business? ()
- What Goes Into a Trademark Application? ()
- What Happens If You Don't Respond to Correspondence from Trademarks Office in Time? ()
- What Makes a Brand Valuable? ()
- Is Registering a .COM Domain Name Enough to Secure Trademark Rights? ()
- Why Is It Important to Preserve Evidence of Use of My Trademarks? ()
- Do I Need an Agreement with My Logo Designer? ()
- Andrei Mincov's story ()
- What is Madrid Protocol? ()
- Trademark Factory Ultimate package ()
- What Are Official Marks in Canada? ()
- Trademark Factory I Feel Lucky package ()
- How Will a Trademark Examiner Examine My Trademark Application? ()
- Can You Trademark Book Titles? ()
- Trademark Factory All-Inclusive package ()
- Trademarks vs. Trade Names ()
- Look-Alike and Sound-Alike Trademarks ()
- Will the Trademark Examiner Check Other Applied For Trademarks? ()
- Trademarking Words in a Fancy Font? ()
- Will the Trademark Examiner Check Unregistered Trademarks? ()
- You Received an Office Action. Now What? ()
- How Long Is a Trademark Registration Good For? ()
- When Should I Trademark My Brand? ()
- Why is Google the Textbook Example of What Not to Do with Your Trademark? ()
- Should I Claim Color as a Feature of My Trademark ? ()
- What Is the Difference Between Trademarks and Patents? ()
- How Should I List Products and Services in My Trademark Application? ()
- What Is the Difference Between Trademarks and Copyright? ()
- When Should I Trademark My Logo? ()
- What Are the Two Main Reasons My Trademark Application Can Be Rejected? ()
- What Is the Trademarking Process? ()
- Can I Mention Someone Else's Trademark on My Website? ()
- What Is An Acceptable Specimen of Use? ()
- What Are Generic, Descriptive, Suggestive, Arbitrary, and Fanciful Trademarks? ()
- What Is UDRP Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy? ()
- How Do I Trademark Product Names? ()
- When Am I Allowed to Put TM Next To My Brand? ()
- How Do I Trademark Service Names? ()
- What Are Word Marks, Design Marks, and Combined Marks? ()
- What Should I Know About Trademarking Slogans and Taglines? ()
- Should I Trademark My Name Or My Logo ()
- Adding Elements to My Trademark to Overcome Confusion or Descriptiveness ()
- Are Famous Trademarks Treated Differently From Regular Trademarks ()
- What Should I Do If Somebody Infringes on My Trademark ()
- Do Trademarks Protect Their Foreign Equivalents ()
- What Should I Do If Somebody Accuses Me of Infringing Their Trademark? ()
- Asian Domain Name Scam ()
- What Are Two Biggest Branding Mistakes? ()
- Are Dead Trademarks a Problem? ()
- What Is The Difference Between a TM and an R in a Circle Symbols ()
- What Does Using a Trademark Mean? ()
- How Do I Choose a Great Brand for my Business, Product, or Service ? ()
- What Is Weekly Confusion Watch Service? ()
- Supplemental Register ()
- What Are Ornamental Trademarks? ()
- What Happens If I Don't Renew My Trademark In Time? ()
- What Does Confusingly Similar Mean? ()
- What Is a Trademark Assignment Agreement? ()
- What Does Date of First Use Mean? ()
- What Is a License Agreement? ()
- Why Is Search So Important? ()
- What Are Incontestable Trademarks? ()
- How Do I Check the Current Status of my Trademark Application? ()
- Important Amendments to Canada's Trademark Law ()
- How To Trademark a Name and Logo ()
- Trademarking Strategies For Life And Business Coaches ()
- How Do I Cancel Someone Else's Trademarks? ()
- Why Do Celebrities Trademark Their Catchphrases? ()
- How George Clooney Made $1 Billion Using Trademarks? ()
- Misspellings and Other Changes to Get Around Someone Else's Trademark ()
- How To Protect Your Brand On Amazon? ()
- Dividing a USPTO Trademark Application ()
- 5 Movies with Unbelievable Scenes about Trademarks and Intellectual Property ()
- Trademark Factory's New & Improved I Feel Lucky Package ()
- The Dumbest Advice About Trademarks You Could Ever Give ()
- 5 Things You Should Never Say About Your Brand ()
- Trademarks vs Domain Names ()
- What's Your Brand Worth? ()
- 3 Y's Of Protecting Your Brand ()
- Matrix of Success 2 Things a Business Needs for Success ()
- How Coca Cola Trademarked Their Brand ()
- Trademarks: Certainty vs. Commitment ()
- Trademarking Process In a Nutshell - TMs Into Rs Brand Protection Formula ()
- Can I Trademark An App ()
- 3 Types Of Businesses And What This Has To Do With Trademarks ()
- Incorporation vs Trademarking ()
- 3 Nasty Trademark Rip Offs And How To Avoid Them ()
- Do I Need To Have A Logo To Get A Trademark ()
- The Real Price You Pay For Trademarking ()
- Copyright, Trademarks and Patents: What's the Difference? ()
- How To Create A Killer Tagline For Your Business ()
- The Madrid Protocol and International Trademarking - Updated for 2019 ()
- Difference Between TM and R in a Circle When to Use Which ()
- USPTO Trademark Fees Are About To Skyrocket ()
- How To Trademark A Name And Logo For Free ()
- Trademark Classes Explained | Nice Classification ()
- Trademark Class 35 of Nice Classification ()
- How To Trademark A Name And Logo For My Music Band ()
- Trademark Classes Explained For Mobile Apps ()
- Trademark Classes For Clothing Everything You Need To Know ()
- How To Create A Great Brand Name (J.U.M.P Brands) ()