What Are Two Biggest Branding Mistakes?
Don't make these two deadly branding mistakes that a lot of business owners make.
If you found this video useful, subscribe to our YouTube channel. We post new content all the time!
If you have a brand you want to protect, let's get on a quick call to discuss your trademarking strategy.
Today I am going to share with you two biggest mistakes what we see all the time. And sometimes we see them made by the same business—even though they would look like the opposites of each other.
The first mistake is spending too much time and agonizing too much on trying to find that perfect brand at the expense of actually building a successful business behind that brand. Don’t get me wrong, a good brand is very important. But the good brand, or a great brand, or an amazing brand are not going to create that business for you. It’s not going to create that product or that service that millions of people are going to be interested in. The biggest problem of small businesses is obscurity. So, just because you have an amazing brand is not good enough. So the focus should be on building something that a lot of people want to use.
And what we see a lot is the brand owner would say, you know what, we haven’t launched the product because we are still working on the 5th version of that logo. I fired all my designers because they were just not good enough and very soon, probably in a few months, we’re going to have the next version—and then we will launch. I mean, come on! Nobody really cares about the logo so much if you don’t have something to offer to them.
Remember, there are three things that are important to every successful brand. It needs to be memorable, it needs to be connected to a successful business, and it needs to be well protected. So, as long as your brand is memorable, as long as people can remember what it is, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Again, it’s not gonna sell. What is gonna sell for your business, what is going to make you money, what is going to make you happy, what is going to make your market happy, is if you offer to that market something that they want. And if all you do is focus on that logo, you’re not gonna get there. So it’s the first branding mistake.
The second branding mistake is failing to protect that brand that you came up with early. And the problem with that is you just want to build and build and build, and say, let’s wait and see if the market likes it. OK, you wait and see if the market likes it, and then, yeah, you just need to wait just a little bit more to see if the market really likes it. And then you want to wait a little more to see if the market loves it. And until you make the first $100,000. And until you make the first $500,000. Until you make the first 10 million dollars. And you wait and wait and wait until—you realize that somebody has taken your brand and you need to start everything all over again.
Interestingly, what I realized is that the cause of these two mistakes—agonizing too much over the brand and failing to protect it soon enough—is the same. The same cause is lack of self-belief in that you don’t believe that you can build something valuable… So you play around, you procrastinate, just doing something that is not really gonna get you any closer to the success.
What I’ve learned from my mentor, which I found to be very profound, is that he said, “You know what, everybody says that the biggest fear is the fear of failure. That’s not true. The biggest fear is fear of success. Because people who fear failure, they at least know what the’re fearing, they’ve been there, they’ve lived there all their life. What they don’t know is how the success feels like. And they don’t realize that the success is not some luck. It’s not a fluke. It’s basically a logical result of the steps that you take to get you there. And a lot of people are afraid that they’re not gonna get there.”
I understand, but really all this has to do with with your belief in your ability to built something valuable, to build something that the market would love… And that’s really why we are starting a business, that’s why we come up with brands, that's why we spend sleepless nights and work crazy hours to do something awesome, to have people around the world, or people in your country, or people in your town, depending on what your business is, love you for what you do, and respect you for what you do, and take out the credit cards, and give the numbers—because of what you have to offer to them.
So if you start something, at least expect that you have a reasonable chance of success because otherwise, why are you doing this?
And if you do expect a reasonable chance of success, protect what’s so important for that success, the brand. Because the brand really is what people think about when they think of your business. It’s not just you personally, it’s the name of the business, the name of the product, the name of the service, your tagline, or whatever it is.
So, two opposites, but not really...
Come up with a name that is memorable, and protect it right away!
Disclaimer: Please note that this post and this video are not and are not intended as legal advice. Your situation may be different from the facts assumed in this post or video. Your reading this post or watching this video does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Trademark Factory International Inc., and you should not rely on this post or this video as the only source of information to make important decisions about your intellectual property.
See our answers to other frequently asked questions about trademarks or leave your comments below!
comments powered by Disqus
- Does My Trademark Need to Match My Company Name? ()
- What Is a Trademark? ()
- Can I Add More Products and Services to My Trademark Application After It Has Been Filed? ()
- Where Should I Register My Trademarks? (Deciding on Jurisdictions in Which to File Trademarks) ()
- What Is Conventional Priority? ()
- Can I Change the Trademark Itself After My Trademark Application has been Filed? ()
- How Long Does It Take to Register a Trademark? ()
- Can I Trademark Dictionary Words? ()
- Can I Trademark the Same Brand for Different Products or Services? ()
- Do All Countries Protect Unregistered Trademarks? (Common-Law Trademarks) ()
- Can I Trademark a Brand Before It Is Launched? (Intent-to-Use Trademarks) ()
- Is My Trademark Available? ()
- Should I Trademark My Startup's Brand? ()
- In Whose Name Should I Apply For My Trademark? ()
- Will the Trademarks Office Help Me Enforce My Trademarks? ()
- Should I Trademark a Logo Done On Fiverr? ()
- How Much Does It Cost to Register a Trademark? ()
- Should I Trademark My #Hashtags? ()
- Are There Annual Trademark Maintenance Fees? ()
- If I Register My Trademark, Does It Mean No One Can Use It? ()
- Four Things Most Commonly Trademarked (The Trademark Dance) ()
- How Does Trademark Factory's Guarantee Work? ()
- What Are Nice Classes of Goods and Services ()
- Do I Have to Be an American Resident to File in the U.S.? ()
- How Are Service Marks Different From Trademarks? ()
- What Are Oppositions? ()
- 3 Most Important Benefits of Registering Trademarks ()
- Why Register a Trademark in Canada to Get a .CA Domain Name? ()
- What is Post-Allowance Statement / Declaration of Use? ()
- Am I Protected Between the Filing and the Registration of My Trademark? ()
- What Is Post-Registration Statement of Use? ()
- How to Use Trademarks to Create a Sense of Uniqueness for Your Business? ()
- What Goes Into a Trademark Application? ()
- What Happens If You Don't Respond to Correspondence from Trademarks Office in Time? ()
- What Makes a Brand Valuable? ()
- Is Registering a .COM Domain Name Enough to Secure Trademark Rights? ()
- Why Is It Important to Preserve Evidence of Use of My Trademarks? ()
- Do I Need an Agreement with My Logo Designer? ()
- Andrei Mincov's story ()
- What is Madrid Protocol? ()
- Trademark Factory Ultimate package ()
- What Are Official Marks in Canada? ()
- Trademark Factory I Feel Lucky package ()
- How Will a Trademark Examiner Examine My Trademark Application? ()
- Can You Trademark Book Titles? ()
- Trademark Factory All-Inclusive package ()
- Trademarks vs. Trade Names ()
- Look-Alike and Sound-Alike Trademarks ()
- Will the Trademark Examiner Check Other Applied For Trademarks? ()
- Trademarking Words in a Fancy Font? ()
- Will the Trademark Examiner Check Unregistered Trademarks? ()
- You Received an Office Action. Now What? ()
- How Long Is a Trademark Registration Good For? ()
- When Should I Trademark My Brand? ()
- Why is Google the Textbook Example of What Not to Do with Your Trademark? ()
- Should I Claim Color as a Feature of My Trademark ? ()
- What Is the Difference Between Trademarks and Patents? ()
- How Should I List Products and Services in My Trademark Application? ()
- What Is the Difference Between Trademarks and Copyright? ()
- When Should I Trademark My Logo? ()
- What Are the Two Main Reasons My Trademark Application Can Be Rejected? ()
- What Is the Trademarking Process? ()
- Can I Mention Someone Else's Trademark on My Website? ()
- What Is An Acceptable Specimen of Use? ()
- What Are Generic, Descriptive, Suggestive, Arbitrary, and Fanciful Trademarks? ()
- What Is UDRP Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy? ()
- How Do I Trademark Product Names? ()
- When Am I Allowed to Put TM Next To My Brand? ()
- How Do I Trademark Service Names? ()
- What Are Word Marks, Design Marks, and Combined Marks? ()
- What Should I Know About Trademarking Slogans and Taglines? ()
- Should I Trademark My Name Or My Logo ()
- Adding Elements to My Trademark to Overcome Confusion or Descriptiveness ()
- Are Famous Trademarks Treated Differently From Regular Trademarks ()
- Received an Invoice For International Publication of Trademark ()
- What Should I Do If Somebody Infringes on My Trademark ()
- Do Trademarks Protect Their Foreign Equivalents ()
- What Should I Do If Somebody Accuses Me of Infringing Their Trademark? ()
- Asian Domain Name Scam ()
- Are Dead Trademarks a Problem? ()
- What Is The Difference Between a TM and an R in a Circle Symbols ()
- What Does Using a Trademark Mean? ()
- How Do I Choose a Great Brand for my Business, Product, or Service ? ()
- What Is Weekly Confusion Watch Service? ()
- Supplemental Register ()
- What Are Ornamental Trademarks? ()
- What Happens If I Don't Renew My Trademark In Time? ()
- What Does Confusingly Similar Mean? ()
- What Is a Trademark Assignment Agreement? ()
- What Does Date of First Use Mean? ()
- What Is a License Agreement? ()
- Why Is Search So Important? ()
- What Are Incontestable Trademarks? ()
- How Do I Check the Current Status of my Trademark Application? ()
- Important Amendments to Canada's Trademark Law ()
- How To Trademark a Name and Logo ()
- Trademarking Strategies For Life And Business Coaches ()
- How Do I Cancel Someone Else's Trademarks? ()
- Why Do Celebrities Trademark Their Catchphrases? ()
- How George Clooney Made $1 Billion Using Trademarks? ()
- Misspellings and Other Changes to Get Around Someone Else's Trademark ()
- How To Protect Your Brand On Amazon? ()
- Dividing a USPTO Trademark Application ()
- 5 Movies with Unbelievable Scenes about Trademarks and Intellectual Property ()
- Trademark Factory's New & Improved I Feel Lucky Package ()
- The Dumbest Advice About Trademarks You Could Ever Give ()
- 5 Things You Should Never Say About Your Brand ()
- Trademarks vs Domain Names ()
- What's Your Brand Worth? ()
- 3 Y's Of Protecting Your Brand ()
- Matrix of Success 2 Things a Business Needs for Success ()
- How Coca Cola Trademarked Their Brand ()
- Trademarks: Certainty vs. Commitment ()